Skip to main content

Anxious for Nothing

I'm having a group of ladies over tonight for our monthly "Faith Group." We don't really have an official name, but that's what I am calling it for now. Haha! Our group has been dealing with the topic of anxiety. Man, this one has really hit home. We have studied the book by Max Lucado called Anxious for Nothing. This book is centered around Philippians 4:4-8. This is probably my all time favorite piece of scripture.

This book details how we as people are just anxious by nature. However as Christians, we should not be anxious. God is directing our steps. He's fully aware of the path that he has put us on, knowing each obstacle that will arise before we do. I know that for myself personally, I definitely struggle with anxiety. Who doesn't? I know that I get anxious every morning as a substitute teacher. What class will I be in? How is the day going to go? Will any behavior problems or drills take place? I have been trying to remind myself that God has put me in that particular situation for that day. There's nothing that he put before me, that I can't handle because God is on my side.

If I could have highlighted every word in this book, I would have. Each page of this book has a pink highlighter mark on it with some sort of quote, scripture, or nugget of information highlighted on it. One particular section that I highlighted was a section on prayer. Max Lucado urges us to pray specifically. Specific prayer is a serious prayer, and helps us create a lighter load. Another aspect that I highlighted was the section on Gratitude. I tend to compare myself a lot. I compare my looks to other people, my job to other people, and I wallow in the pit of "if only" a lot. "If only I was richer like so and so, or if only I looked like so and so." Lucado says that I need to be G R A T E F U L. I need to be grateful that I have a job, grateful that I have a family who loves me, grateful that I'm able to do the things that I can do. As my trust in the Lord increases, my anxiety should disappear.

I did some extra study on Philippians, and the main ideas of this book in the Bible is to "Serve Others with Joy." One particular verse that stood out was Phil. 2:4 "Do everything without complaining or arguing." Not just some things, but EVERYTHING. Friends, that's hard. Here's how I look at that verse. The Lord doesn't complain when he hears our requests, he gives us one of three answers; Yes, No, and Wait on my timing. I'm guessing waiting is probably not your strong suit. Mine either. You mean I'm supposed to wait on God's perfect timing and not complain? Y E S. Our lives are not our own, they're God's.

Friends, I strongly suggest you go out and buy this book. Read it, and read it again. Each time you will gain new perspective of the anxious nature of ourselves, and how God can help you fix it. I promise you, knowing and having Jesus in your heart will be the best relationship you've ever had.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I'd love to hear from you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking for a Crowd: Spaghetti Sauce

My family likes to save money when we have parties. One way to do so is to cook everything ourselves, instead of hiring a caterer. Today, I wanted to give you a recipe for spaghetti sauce that will feed a crowd. This recipe is best made in an 18 quart roast pan. We bought most of our sauces and tomato paste at Costco. Ingredients: 2 onions 3 cans diced tomatoes 2 #10 cans of tomato sauce 1 #10 can on spaghetti sauce 1 heaping tsp of garlic minced 2 (28 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes 4 (6 oz) cans of tomato paste 1 tsp sugar Onion and garlic salt, italian seasoning, parsley, oregano to taste 1 pound of each: ground meat, hot and sweet sausage Look at the deliciousness!  In a skillet brown your meat and sausage in a little oil. Once browned place off to the side. Combine your onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes. *Sweat your onions down first, then add the garlic. Then your tomatoes.* Open your tomato sauces and spaghetti sauces (w...

Simple Sugars Review

There is no doubt that this scenario has happened to you. You get some really expensive cream to put on your acne, rosacea, or eczema. You try it out, and find out you are allergic to it, or it makes your skin look horrible. Such was the case with Lani Lazzari. She has sensitive skin and has tried every commercial product on the market to help her eczema. Nothing worked, so she took matters in her own hands. She created Simple Sugars in December of 2005. If you're wondering where you might have heard Lani's name before, she appeared on ABC's Shark Tank! The scrubs are all natural and uses many different oils. There are no sulphates, artificial preservatives, parabens, colors, or scents. There are scrubs for your face, body, feet, and even some for the men in your life! You can find your perfect scrub on their website . I wish you could smell this! I bought some at a local retailer and I am impressed! I got the chocolate scent, and let me tell you, it smells AMAZING!...

It's Been Awhile...

 Hi! Do you remember me and this little blog? I've been thinking about starting this blog back up again, and I am just going to jump in with both feet and go for it! In the past what, 4 years since the last post, I have learned a lot, and have a lot to share! So if you'll bear with me, I'd love to share some fun tips and tricks and recipes with you here on this little space on the internet.  I will give you a little reintroduction of myself.  I'm Mandii. I'm a small town girl full of random information. Sports facts, check. Fashion tips, oh yeah, I've got those a plenty! Recipes? You're speaking my language. I love all things faith, family, fashion, sports, and food related. Which is exactly what you will find on this space. I love to travel even though I don't do it nearly enough.  I don't know if I am going to commit to a full 5 days on here yet. I'll play it by ear, and if you'll stick with me, I think we can do some great things here!  I...