Skip to main content

Bobby Deen Recipes

Here are the recipes as promised! If you forget why I'm posting them, check this post. All of these recipes came from Bobby's book called From Mama's Table to Mine. I had the chance to try the Black eyed Pea Salad, and the Sweet and Savory meatballs. Both were very delicious. I put my comments using an asterisk. (*)

Black-eyed Pea Salad

2 cans black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 large red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 large yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
4 ounces low fat pepper Jack cheese, cut into pea sized cubes
1/2 cup coarsley chopped scallions (white and green parts only)
1/4 cup coarsley chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons coarsley chopped oregano
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a bowl, mix orange juice, red wine vinegar, oil, oregano, and pepper. Mix with whisk. Then add the black eyed peas, bell peppers, pepper Jack, scallions, parsley.  Mix all together to combine. Let sit for an hour for the flavors to combine. Enjoy!

*This is a great alternative to a green salad. I could see this being served with hamburgers that were grilled, or even some chicken. This is also better served room temperature.

Sweet and Savory Meatballs

1 pound 95% lean ground beef
1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese (or low fat)
1/2 cup raisins, coarsley chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 can tomato sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
3/4 coarsley chopped parsley

In a medium bowl combine the beef, ricotta, raisins, salt, and pepper and mix gently. Roll into 40 1 inch meatballs. Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the meatballs in batches and brown on all sides, 7 to 8 minutes total. Set the meatballs aside on a plate.

Add the onions to the skillet and cook, stirring, until browned 2-3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and vinegar and bring to a gentle boil. Return the meatballs to the pan and cook, stirring carefully to coat with sauce, for 5 mintues until cooked through. Serve the meatballs in small bowls topped with a generous amout of the sauce and a sprinkling of the parsley.

*These are a great appetizer! They have a sweet taste because of the raisins, but you wouldn't know raisins were in there unless you were told.

Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms

1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions (white and green parts)
1/4 cup low fat sour cream
1/2 teaspoon House seasoning
1 1/2 poundss white mushrooms (about 36) stems removed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and position a rack in the upper third of the oven.
In a medium bowl, combing the spinach, feta, scallions, sour cream, and House seasoning and stir well. Fill the mushroom caps with the mixture and top with the Parmesan. Place mushrooms on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15-20 mintues, until the topping is golden.

*I can see this filling being placed in lasagna noodles and topped with an alfredo sauce as well!

If you make any of these dishes, please leave me a comment and let me know how you liked them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking for a Crowd: Spaghetti Sauce

My family likes to save money when we have parties. One way to do so is to cook everything ourselves, instead of hiring a caterer. Today, I wanted to give you a recipe for spaghetti sauce that will feed a crowd. This recipe is best made in an 18 quart roast pan. We bought most of our sauces and tomato paste at Costco. Ingredients: 2 onions 3 cans diced tomatoes 2 #10 cans of tomato sauce 1 #10 can on spaghetti sauce 1 heaping tsp of garlic minced 2 (28 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes 4 (6 oz) cans of tomato paste 1 tsp sugar Onion and garlic salt, italian seasoning, parsley, oregano to taste 1 pound of each: ground meat, hot and sweet sausage Look at the deliciousness!  In a skillet brown your meat and sausage in a little oil. Once browned place off to the side. Combine your onions, garlic, diced tomatoes, and crushed tomatoes. *Sweat your onions down first, then add the garlic. Then your tomatoes.* Open your tomato sauces and spaghetti sauces (we li

It's Been Awhile...

 Hi! Do you remember me and this little blog? I've been thinking about starting this blog back up again, and I am just going to jump in with both feet and go for it! In the past what, 4 years since the last post, I have learned a lot, and have a lot to share! So if you'll bear with me, I'd love to share some fun tips and tricks and recipes with you here on this little space on the internet.  I will give you a little reintroduction of myself.  I'm Mandii. I'm a small town girl full of random information. Sports facts, check. Fashion tips, oh yeah, I've got those a plenty! Recipes? You're speaking my language. I love all things faith, family, fashion, sports, and food related. Which is exactly what you will find on this space. I love to travel even though I don't do it nearly enough.  I don't know if I am going to commit to a full 5 days on here yet. I'll play it by ear, and if you'll stick with me, I think we can do some great things here!  I&

New Schedule!

 I think to start off, I am going to be blogging on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday's. I think that is a good schedule to start with that won't be overwhelming, and you readers won't get bored.  So in my time off in the blog world, I worked at a clothing boutique and absolutely fell in love with it! I found that it is something that I am really passionate about. I have learned so many tips and tricks while working there that I can't wait to share with you! I mean we also have lived through a worldwide pandemic. Add that to the list of things you never thought you would type! Haha! I have continued to cook and bake, take short little trips here and there. I truly do lead a very boring life. Haha!  If there are any topics you'd like me to cover, just let me know and I will try to see if I can cover them!  Don't forget you can follow the Mandii's Muse Facebook page here ! You can also follow the blog's Instagram page too! Maybe one day I can go live and we ca